1. Mini Meet Saturday 1st May, details on the events page

What Do I Need To Do?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Paul Young, Nov 13, 2015.

  1. Paul Young

    Paul Young New Member of the Galactic Forum

    Hi All
    I've been doing displays for a while now, and used to buy from a contact in London
    However he can no longer supply and I am unable to buy CAT4 displays
    I know there is no license required, and we always observe max safety rules
    Can I get any training that allows me to purchase CAT4

    Where can I get hold of them?

    I use mostly electronic triggers, but have used a few sets that require lighting manually
    We have a secure safe storage facility here, so that shouldsn't be an issue for H&S

    Any advise would be welcome


  2. martywolfman

    martywolfman Galactic Firework Addict Competition Meet 2018 Champion

    As far as I'm aware Cat4 usage is more about getting a licensed storage facility for them - I'm no expert though, I'll rely on others to answer more fully :)
  3. Paul Young

    Paul Young New Member of the Galactic Forum

    I'm after 4-5" mortar shells, and larger cakes & candles
  4. Fleascool

    Fleascool Galactic Firework Addict

    Nigel tends not to sell Cat 4 stuff. Best option is to go to the manufacturers directly.
    But they'll need to see your license and storage certificate.
  5. Simon Weir

    Simon Weir Galactic Firework Addict

    If you want to take a Cat 4 course there are two options I am aware of, these being:
    1. speak to Chris Burgess at Illuminate Consult his course is 1 day @ £150 or
    2. become associated with an existing display company and attend the BPA course with their nomination (there is a requirement to have fired on a professional show).

    I appreciated the IC course but my real learning happens once I started putting on displays, and not in the classroom; also as mentioned above Cat4 is just a classification so there is a need to obtain the correct storage licence from HSE and council ... in short there is no quick route.

    Watch the comp meet videos, all Cat 2 & 3 and they surpass Cat 4 in crowd enjoyment, because Cat 2 & 3 are designed as displays in a box rather than a single effect which you need to layer. I myself made the mistake thinking it is all about NEC and put on a show which was too intense and all feedback was it was too shock and awe!

    Yes shells are great but also the most dangerous to transport, handle and fire ... also you need variety.

    View the Cat 4 videos and ask yourself would you rather watch 30 secs of one effect over a Fireworks Crazy or 70 shot Diamond? Forgive the pun, but pyrogeeks understand it is not the size but what you do with what you have ... Candy Flies only 500g of powder but must be the most talked about firework and biggest crowd pleaser.
  6. walker1104

    walker1104 Galactic Firework Enthusiast

    There is no training as such, that allows you to buy CAT4. The Illuminate Consult and BPA training programs allow you to be classed as a person with specialist knowledge, which some companies require before letting you handle CAT4.

    To be able to purchase CAT4, you need a licenced storage facility, which meets all the safety criteria. Then you will need public liability insurance to be able to fire it at a public event.

    Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
  7. Geoff

    Geoff Galactic Firework Enthusiast

    Welcome to the forum.
  8. supercarnigel

    supercarnigel Pyro-King Staff Member

    its doesn't matter what course you take or what level you achieve you still cant buy cat 4 fireworks. These courses however do allow you to fire for an all year round fireworks company that has the appropriate storage and also all year round insurance etc.

    So the outcome is you are going to be able to buy cat 4 if you set up a business and run it as such, If you don't achieve a turnover of 20k you wont make a single penny. If you just want to do it for fun then again £20k a year in takings will just about allow for you to break even at best.

    The best way if you want to fire cat 4 material is go and help a company that does displays, you most likely wont get paid you will just have to be a volunteer.

    My view is if you're doing your own display and you don't spend more than 3k or even if you are spending more than that just accept you will have to pay more money for rockets to replace shells, if you pay £200-£300 more so what ! its peanuts in comparison to what it will cost to buy cat 4 gear. I can honestly say I set off an assortment of 3" and 4" shells at a display I did with FlashGuru this year and the 10 x heroes and 10 x villain rockets gave a better effect overall. Again if you are wanting bigger more professional gear then you will have to invest thousands into going down the route of setting up a company and trying to be one of the 2 out of 10 firework companies that manages to survive.

    I am sorry I seem so negative but its simply the truth, people think its so easy but its truly not. STICK WITH CAT 3 !
  9. Anthony

    Anthony Galactic Firework Addict

    The overall quality of European Standard Cat 2 and Cat 3 fireworks has excelled to such a level these days and got so good that you don't even need Cat 4 fireworks to put on a great show!

    Just pick decent items, Galactic has got plenty, and plan what effects and sounds that you need into your show, it'll work ;)
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
    Tomo and Simon Weir like this.

Share This Page